TIA 2005: Art from Ephemera (Mail Art and the Internet)
Text and Image Arts
School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
Fall 2007 - Spring 2009

Monday, October 29, 2007

Godzilla postcards

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

For the first project I chose to make postcards depicting stills from monster movies (mostly characters from japanese movies such as Godzilla, mechagodzilla, mothra etc.) I began by fiding movie stills on the internet, then manipulated the images in photoshop. After mounting the printed images on sturdier paper, I used text cut from the New York Times and adhered these words or phrases to the postcards.

I chose these images because they make me feel nostalgic. As children, my siblings and I watched these films over and over again. The majority of our childhood toys were from Japan, including a great many monster figurines. I wasn't really trying to make any sort of statement or do anything experimental with my project, I just wanted to make someone laugh or smile when they recieved their monstercard in the mail. Particularly my brother and sister, because they will have a similar reaction to me when seeing the postcards.

1 comment:

Becky G. said...

It's interesting that your intended audience (because they probably share some of that nostalgia with you) will have a different take on these than a complete stranger might, creating relationships between text and image without the full back-story. It's good to be aware of this distinction in how your project might be received. Aesthetically, I really like the way this has transferred to digital and would encourage you to consider taking screenprinting classes to continue working with this kind of imagery.