TIA 2005: Art from Ephemera (Mail Art and the Internet)
Text and Image Arts
School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
Fall 2007 - Spring 2009

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

the postal shooting star project




The aim of the Postal Shooting Star project is to spread surprise and hopefully a modicum of delight around the postal system via the distribution of glitter. I have loosely covered business window-style envelopes stamped with my fake company logo with 1 tablespoon each of glitter and addressed them to my friends in far off places in the US. I have requested that recipients take a picture of the envelope after it reaches them and email it to me, so I would have a documentation of how each envelope's journey begins and ends, and hopefully construct some sort of theory about how much glitter ran amok in post offices across the nation.

3 comments:

Becky G. said...

I love the way they twinkle in the camera's flash. The more I think about it, the more I agree with your decision NOT to use custom stamps. It just goes along with the other ways in which you've gone out of your way to keep this project technically within postal regulations. I encourage you to try to send another test to yourself. And keep us updated on how the project unfolds!

tina said...

Thanks for the comment! I just finished coating the BACKS of the envelopes today and cleaned up the mess in my room that has been resident for 2 weeks now. There are 10 envelopes in all, each weighing just under 1 oz. with all that glitter. One is self-addressed, and I am mailing all of them out Monday. Whether or not the others make it will be up to fate, but at least I'll know from the self-addressed one whether they stand a chance! It's too late to turn back now.. onwards!

lolly44alana said...

this is a great photo, i especially love the envelopes to the left with the grey glitter, those are beautiful